11/13/2008

Not Quite Haiku

Leave it to Twitter to spark a resurgence in haiku. By limiting status updates to 140 characters, Twitter forces the writer to be picky with words. Unfortunately, many Twitter users see this as an invitation to post rolling status messages:

  • "Part 1: OK, so I was just eating breakfast (Frosted Mini Wheats, in case you were wondering - 'cause surely you are, since my breakfast eati" followed shortly thereafter by...
  • "Part 2: ng habits are totally fascinating, but, like, whatever, that's on you) and I was thinking, I wonder what would happen if ponies coul" followed by...
  • "Part 3: d fly. Well, I gotta go to work now."
I recognize that Twitter is not the appropriate vehicle for conveying lengthy stories (that's what blogs are for, man!), but I love the challenge of trying to condense a fairly detail-rich anecdote into 140 characters. The result is not quite haiku, but with a little work I could probably get it there...

DVD player died last night; our fresh Netflix pile (after Veterans Day mail hiatus) cried out to be watched; laptop viewing blows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sooo . . . along with email, voicemail, this blog and text messaging, I now have another opportunity to communicate. Spare me!
Mom